Home Page arrow Chess Life Online arrow 2008 arrow January arrow Stephen Herx, 1959-2009
Stephen Herx, 1959-2009 Print E-mail
January 10, 2009
Stephen Herx with some of his chess students, Photo courtesy Jeffrey Wu
Stephen Herx of Paramus, long time partner of Jeffrey Wu, son of Henry and the late Marilyn Herx of Ramsey, died on January 7th, Wednesday at 8:19 AM. He was surrounded by family and friends during the last stages of his long battle with cancer. 

Since 1997, Mr. Herx had managed non-profit organizations, including the nationally recognized Chess-in-the-Schools program in New York City, where Steve was program director.

His most recent work was with Education Through Music, a program that provides music instruction to inner city elementary schools throughout New York City. With ETM, Mr. Herx trained, supervised, mentored, developed curricula and resource materials.

Steve studied voice at the Mannes College of Music, received his BS summa cum laude from SUNY-New Paltz and took Master's courses in Public Administration at Baruch College. Additionally, Herx wrote three influential articles on the life and career of Polish soprano Marcella Sembrich (1858-1935). These were published in Opera Quarterly (Oxford University Press), and Record Collector (London).

Mr. Herx's other passion was chess. In addition to his four years of work for CIS, he helped found the community chess school in Paramus several years ago. He was also Bergen County Chess Champion in 1976.

Mr. Herx is survived by his partner Jeffrey Wu, their adopted son and daughter Jason and Ashley Wu, his father Henry of Ramsey, brother Joseph of Howell, NJ, two sisters Margaret and Katherine of Gardinerville, NY and Ramsey NJ.

The family requests that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to

 Education Through Music for Stephen Herx Foundation
122 E 42nd Street, Suite 1501
 New York, NY 10168
Memorial Service to be held at St.Mary's in Tuxedo Park Church
Date: January 17th, 2009
Time: 11AM
Address: 10 Fox Hill Road, Tuxedo Park, N.Y. 10987
Tel: 914-351-5122

In Memory of Steve

Feel free to add your own as a comment to this article, or email [email protected].

Stephen Herx, 1959-2009, left his mark on many scholastic chessplayers, parents and coaches. In his honor, USCF will provide a "Steve Herx Scholarship" for one entry each year for the next five years to the K-12 Nationals, for a Chess-in-the-Schools player. (This is not to be confused with the Stephen Herx Foundation mentioned above.)- United States Chess Federation

Steve Herx was an amazing person, friend, and mentor. He was my first supervisor at CIS and, as such, he taught me 95% of what I know about chess teaching. (The other 5% he encouraged me to discover on my own.) I still remember his beginning-of-the-school-year talks-- they were the only motivational speeches that have ever actually motivated me. As a mentor, he also taught me (mostly through silent example) valuable lessons about communication, organization, and professionalism. He was an inspiring man.
Steve was also a loyal friend, a cheerful and intelligent person, and a man of great taste. I will always remember his delightful afternoon garden parties, complete with barbeques, outdoor blitz games, piano and operatic performances, and general summer happiness. I will miss him immensely- Elizabeth Vicary, Steve's former co-worker and friend

It is with a heavy heart that I have to let you know that our dearest friend, Steve Herx was released from his suffering on 01/07 at 8.19 a.m...
He leaves to celebrate, not mourn, his immediate family - Jeffrey, Jason and Ashley; as well as a host of other relatives and close friends.

Steve, as we all knew him was not only an extremely talented and gifted individual but a professional. A great musician, a pillar in the Chess community even prior to his days in Chess-in-the-Schools, in his church community, warm-spirited and always kind to those he encountered. Above all, he was a great teacher and genuinely cared, as I can personally authenticate.

I want to thank you all for your support, best wishes and prayers for his health, when I e-mailed a few weeks ago asking for prayers. Your messages and calls in response to that request which I forwarded were a great source of comfort to him amidst his pain which he bore with great equanimity.
May his soul ' rest in peace.' Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers- Olav Athayde, friend and father of two of Steve's students.