JOB DESCRIPTION FOR THE US CHESS ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF EVENTS
The US Chess Federation (US Chess) is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Director of Events. US Chess is a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to empowering people through chess one move at a time. US Chess is the national governing body for chess in the United States and serves over 90,000 members.
The Assistant Director of Events works under the direct supervision of the US Chess Director of Events and is responsible for assisting in the execution of all US Chess National and International Events, including staff training, management, logistics coordination, program evaluation, and budget oversight.
The Assistant Director of Events is not required to reside in the vicinity of the US Chess office in Crossville, TN, but will be expected to travel regularly to staff and Executive Board meetings as well as US Chess Tournaments and events. Applicants should expect to travel regularly.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Planning and coordinating the attendance of U.S. players and officials at International events.
• Overseeing the activities of US Chess office staff dealing with FIDE and US Chess rating reports, FIDE federation transfers, titles and licenses.
• Overseeing the licensing of USA·FIDE arbiters, trainers and organizers.
• Overseeing the submission of US Chess and FIDE rating reports.
• Overseeing the submission of USA players’ titles requests to FIDE.
• Managing and coordinating FIDE federation transfers for players, to and from USA.
Tournament Director Certification
• Overseeing the US Chess Tournament Directors certification program.
National Events Management and Support
• Overseeing all aspects of the team room reservation system for national scholastic events, including maintenance of a mailing list, composing email blasts for that list, and dealing with reservation issues leading up to national scholastic events.
• Building and updating tournament websites for national events, including setting up the registration/payment pages.
• Building results websites for national events.
• Performing maintenance and software/firmware updates for computers and other devices used at national events.
• Attend US Chess-run national events.
• Providing guidance to US Chess office staff, affiliates and US Chess members on matters related to tournament organization, tournament directing, procedures and US Chess and FIDE tournament rules.
• Additional duties as assigned by the Director of Events and/or Executive Director.
• Ability to travel both domestically and internationally
• Ability to work evenings and weekends
• Excellent knowledge of the US Chess Official Rules of Chess, FIDE Laws of Chess and Tournament Regulations.
• US Chess Local Tournament Director or higher certification preferred.
• Preferred education, Bachelor’s degree.
• At least 2 years progressively responsible work experience, including experience running chess tournaments.
• Excellent customer service skills that highlight strong communication, diplomacy, teamwork and ability to think on one’s feet.
The Director of Events will be the primary backup for the duties of the Assistant Director of Events. The Assistant Director of Events will be progressively trained to be the primary backup for the duties of the Director of Events.
This is a full-time exempt position (40+ hours/week, with some weekends and evenings). US Chess Headquarters is based in Crossville, Tennessee; Teleworking Allowed. Individuals desiring consideration for this position should submit a cover letter, resume, 2-page writing sample, and list four references with contact information to the US Chess Director of Administration, Ms. Judy Misner, [email protected], no later than February 5, 2018.