Grandmaster Igor Ivanov (1947-2005)
"Frank J. Marshall Ambassador for Chess"
Igor passed away on November 17th in St. George, Utah. A funeral will be held for Igor in St. George on November 28 and there will be a
tribute to him at the St. George Chess Club the evening of December 16. A tournament
will be held in his honor the following day. Contact Alan Crooks at
firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Some of the highlights of chess for Igor were:
- 1st in the Zaitsev Memorial in Vladivostock in 1978
- 1st at Yaroslavl 1979
- 1st at the Tashli Tailiev Memorial in Ashkhabad, late 1979
- 1981-1987 won four times the Canadian Closed Championship
- 1st place tie in both the Canadian Open and Canadian Closed Championship in 1985
- Represented Canada in the 1984 and 1988 Olympiads
- Represented Canada again in the 1982 Interzonal in Toluca, Mexico
- Won 9 times the U.S. Chess Federation Grand Prix series
- Was a second for Viktor Kortchnoi in the 1981 World Championship
- Awarded the title of "Frank J. Marshall Ambassador for Chess"
- In 2005 received his title of, "Grandmaster" after not know he earned it 25 years prior!
- 543 crosstables of Igor's play
in USCF rated events since 1991
In Chess Life we will be offering a lengthy article on GM Ivanov which will
include tributes, games and more.