How to File a FIDE Events Complaint Print E-mail
By Judy Misner   

How to File a FIDE Events Complaint

Any current US Chess member who participated in a FIDE-rated event sanctioned by US Chess, and who feels aggrieved by actions or decisions of the organizer or arbiters at that event, may submit a formal complaint.  To file a formal complaint for the FIDE Events Committee, contact office Liaison Judy Misner by email ([email protected]), phone (931-787-1234, ext. 126), or regular mail to the US Chess office in Crossville, TN.  Mark the envelope to the attention of Judy Misner, who is the Committee’s liaison in the office. All complaints and responses should be typed and must include a “Good Faith Deposit” check for the amount of $50. The fee is subject to change as determined by US Chess. The deposit will be returned unless the ruling authority finds the complaint to be frivolous and rules that it will be forfeited. 

When submitting formal complaints, details and names of relevant individuals must be included. The Committee will not research websites, newsgroup postings, etc. It is up to the person submitting the complaint to add any supporting material, to include any statements from other individuals. Although not required, the Committee may ask the US Chess office to contact other individuals, as requested by the appellant, for statements. 

Once the complaint and the Good Faith Deposit are received at the US Chess office, the complaint will be sent to the members of the FIDE Events Committee who will examine it to determine if it falls within their jurisdiction.  If they vote that it does not, the originator will be notified.  If they vote that it does, the complaint will then be sent to the respondent(s) with a request for a formal response by a given deadline.  When that response is received, it will be sent to the FIDE Events Committee along with the original complaint for their review and decision.  Once a decision is made all parties will be informed.

Within 30 days of notification of an unfavorable decision, the respondent(s) may appeal to the US Chess Executive Board or the FIDE Arbiters’ Commission Disciplinary Subcommittee, whichever is appropriate through the US Chess office.  Appeals to the FIDE Events Committee decisions must be submitted to US Chess, Attn: Judy Misner, P. O. Box 3967, Crossville, TN 38557 or by email to:  Executive Director, Carol Meyer at [email protected] and Judy Misner at [email protected].

(Revised October 25, 2017)